Fontana dei Tritoni in Piazza Bocca della Verita
White, green and brown chalk on reddish paper
20 : 28 cm
Monogrammed lower right
– Estate of the artist
– Private collection
The Triton Fountain, Fontana dei Tritoni, is located in the Piazza del Bocca della Verita in front of the Temple of Hercules Victor. It was realized in 1715 according to a design by the architect Carlo Bizzaccheri, who designed the fountain on behalf of Pope Clement XI Albani. The design of the main basin represents an octagon with concave sides, resembling an eight-pointed star, which characterizes the heraldic symbol of the Pope’s family, the Albanis.
In the centre, on a rock, we see two kneeling tritons entwined by their tails, with raised arms carrying a large oyster shell (between the two tritons is the coat of arms of the Pope).